Tuesday, September 4, 2007

SLAM and the kids that melt your heart

SLAM Students Living A Mission was the summer program that stole my heart this summer! With sweat, tears, and laughter I was spending most of my time with 6-8 year olds. Things I learned through SLAM: 1. Boys are to have lots of space to wrestle and that is how God created them to be! 2. I am not in control. 3. Take the time to get on your knees and look a kid in the eye because what he is about to tell you may make or break his day! 4. I am falling more in love with the other Youth Coordinator, my boyfriend! 5. Discipline can be coordinated with love. 6. I am supported by friends.
I know there is much more that God taught me this summer but that will do for now! Thank you to Rahiem, George, Penelope, Isaiah, Dylan, Rick, Zakary, Semaj, Viantay, Hector, Jacob, Tony, Mersaydes, JR, and Kristy for making memories with me!

1 comment:

J May said...

Awesome, Katy. Those are poignant things that God has tought you! I remember you sharing #3 with me and this just now reminded me. Such a powerful lesson! I think it is so awesome you guys gave your lives to these kids this summer!

About This Blog

A place for...
Reflection Expression Invitation Creativity Inspiration Connection

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares."

~Henri Nouwen