Thursday, April 18, 2013

A closing to my twenties...

Tomorrow I cross over to a new decade. Though tomorrow may just seem like any other day, I am flooded with memories as I reflect back on the last 10 years of my life.


Some experiences in the last decade that come to mind are learning to appreciate and appropriately drink adult beveragesJ Trinity House. Heartache & relationships ending. Graduation. Cross country driving. Moving to a different State. Paradise Point & Adventure White Water. Experiencing God through prayer and healing. God pulling me out and redeeming me from depression.Working alongside the poor. Meeting the man whom I would marry. Getting married. Celebrating friends getting married. Traveling. Being accepted by an incredible community. New friends. Learning to what it really means to love your neighbor..still learning. Growing and birthing two babies. Photography. 3 years of Counseling Graduate School. Learning to cook. Hard conversations of healing. Anniversaries at Edgefield. Crying over friends passing and new babies entering the world. Being forgiven on several occasions. Forgiving. Getting reacquainted and learning about family. I am sure the list could continue but for now this is my free association list of my highlighted experiences in my twenties. 

It sort of feels like another life when I think about some of these moments and seasons of life. It is quite strange to think of the 20 year old Katy. I know there have been experiences of both overwhelming joy and deep sorrow. I also know both have been used for growth, understanding, and most importantly bringing me closer to the one who knows me best, my Creator. I have Him to thank. 

This reminds me of something I recently read from Beth Moore. Something about how God sometimes alleviates our suffering, sometimes eases the suffering, and still other times God shows his sufficiency in the suffering. But she was encouraging the reader to make no mistake; God never abandons us in our suffering. That's right Beth, in each of those experiences listed above and more...God was with me through it all and is still with me today. Even if I failed or straight up didn't want Him there. If I could describe or put a theme to the last 10 years in one sentence it would be...God was with me the whole time because he loves me. 

So I will continue to reflect and CELEBRATE God's goodness. And to remember His goodness and grace on my life is not for me & me alone but He has seen me through much so that I may give my life to others. Perhaps so that they may experience this very real and personal God too. 

Cheers to the next decade...

1 comment:

Lynette said...

You are such a sweet, humble, adaptable, and open person. I appreciate you much. I hope this next decade brings you much joy, in addition to growth. :) Love, Lynette

About This Blog

A place for...
Reflection Expression Invitation Creativity Inspiration Connection

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares."

~Henri Nouwen