Monday, December 21, 2009

fetal position




The holiday season has been difficult for me the last few years. It all started when I experienced the taste of greed even amongst the poorest of families in the community I live in. One experience in particular really got my wheel turning in wondering what are the true needs of a human being? I am convinced that basic necessities in the United States have a completely different meaning than for those that don't even own a pair of shoes. I am convinced that consumerism has robbed me from understanding the joy of giving. I am tired of feeling confused, frustrated, cynical, bitter towards what an average American (including myself) feels compelled to consume during this time of year. I am searching for momentum to take me from the ritual of spending to one that values time spent with the people we are surrounded with. A video that has helped me put words to this frustration and allowed me to see the big picture is The Story of Stuff If you haven't watched this...please take the time to do so. It is worth it!


Things that have kept me sane:
patient husband
prayer
bon iver
reading three cups of tea
eating chocolate

No comments:

About This Blog

A place for...
Reflection Expression Invitation Creativity Inspiration Connection

"When we honestly ask ourselves which person in our lives mean the most to us, we often find that it is those who, instead of giving advice, solutions, or cures, have chosen rather to share our pain and touch our wounds with a warm and tender hand. The friend who can be silent with us in a moment of despair or confusion, who can stay with us in an hour of grief and bereavement, who can tolerate not knowing, not curing, not healing and face with us the reality of our powerlessness, that is a friend who cares."

~Henri Nouwen